Ready to rein in your smile?Our expert orthodontists and team members are here to provide a compassionate patient experience that gets you the smile you want to see.
Straighter, healthier smiles are possible with overbite correction!
Potential causes of overbite
An overbite is when your front teeth on the top row protrude too far out past your bottom teeth, leaving a gap of one to two millimeters. There are a few types of overbites, each with unique causes.
- Skeletal overbites: These overbites form from irregular jaw growth and the cause is most often genetic.
- Dental overbite: A dental overbite results from interference during the jaw’s growth. Losing back teeth and habits like thumb sucking or nail chewing can cause crowding and, eventually, a dental overbite.
- Impinging overbite: An impinging overbite is when the bottom teeth touch the roof of the mouth behind the top teeth. This excessive overbite can form after you lose your front teeth or experience severe dental trauma. Top teeth overlap the bottom row vertically more so than horizontally.
Symptoms of overbite
You can spot an overbite by noticing a few visual queues — primarily that your front teeth rest further forward than your bottom teeth when your mouth is closed. There will be a noticeable horizontal gap between your top and bottom teeth, although impinging overbites involves a vertical gap. You may also notice other symptoms like:
- Jaw pain.
- Speech impairment.
- Discomfort while chewing.
- Difficulty fully opening or closing your mouth.
Why fix an overbite?
If you’re living with an overbite, correction can make a significant difference in your life. For one, aligning your teeth will help you take care of your smile. It will be easier to keep your mouth bacteria-free, meaning you’ll have fewer cavities, better breath and healthier gums.
Plus, correcting your overbite will alleviate jaw pain and make chewing easier. Ultimately, you’ll feel better and enjoy the greater self-esteem that comes with a straighter smile.
Personalized treatments for overbite
At Alizadeh & Schreiner Orthodontics, we use a few tried-and-true tactics to straighten our patient’s smiles. We’ll collaborate with you to diagnose the problem and work toward a solution using methods like:
- Lingual braces: Discreet braces that we install on the back of your teeth.
- Damon braces: Innovative self-ligating braces.
- Invisalign®: Clear, removable aligner trays for minor cases.
Trust Alizadeh & Schreiner Orthodontics for your bite concerns
Our expert orthodontic team features the leadership of two experienced professionals — Dr. Cyrus Alizadeh and Dr. Becky Schreiner. Dr. Alizadeh and Dr. Schreiner have nearly 50 years of combined orthodontic experience. They’ve seen it all and can work with you to find the best solution for your overbite. Plus, we have a friendly team of orthodontic assistants and office staff ready to ensure a smooth experience every time you visit our office.
If you’re looking for an effective overbite solution in Chesterfield, Missouri, Alizadeh & Schreiner Orthodontics is here to help. We’d love to hear from you, so get in touch online or contact us today!