1. The first mechanical treatment for correcting malaligned teeth was suggested by Gaius Plinius Secundus (A.D 23-79).
2. Famous orthodontic patients include: Tom Cruise, Kathryn Heigle, Hale Irwin, Cher, Diana Ross, Phyllis Diller, Chelsea Clinton, Whoopi Goldberg, Daisy Fuentes, Fay Dunaway, and Brandi.
3. There are nearly 4 million people in orthodontic treatment throughout the United States. One in 5 orthodontic patients are adults.
4. The time required to complete orthodontic treatment ranges from 12 to 36 months depending on the nature and severity of the problem.
5. Besides alleviating or preventing physical health problems, orthodontics can improve self-esteem as treatment aligns teeth, jaws and lips.
6. Of the 160,000 dentists in the United States and Canada, 8,000 are practicing orthodontists who completed and additional 2-3 years post graduate training in straightening teeth and aligning jaws to create optimal function and form. This training is above and beyond general dental training.
7. The American Association of Orthodontists is comprised of more than 12,000 members in the United States, Canada and abroad.
8. Wires activated by body heat used in today’s braces originally were developed by NASA for use in the space program.
9. The cement that attaches the braces to the teeth is now made with a special fluoride-releasing substance.
Feel free to contact our office with any questions about orthodontic care or leave a comment below.