What To do in case of an emergency
Is this an emergency?
Before calling Alizadeh & Schreiner Orthodontics with a problem, ask yourself: Is this an emergency? True emergencies are rare. Spend a few moments learning more about your appliance and how to solve small problems. This will help you handle minor concerns on your own without first calling our office.
What you can do
Keep orthodontic wax and pencil eraser handy. Here are some tips for handling minor problems:
- Poking wire or bracket: Roll a piece of wax into a ball and press it onto the part that’s poking you. Try to keep the wax dry prior to placing it. The wax will come off frequently, so keep a supply with you.
- Broken Wire: Press the wire toward your teeth with a pencil eraser. If you are unable to push the wire out of the way, try cutting the part that is sticking out with wire cutters or a large fingernail clipper.
- Small cut: To help the cut heal, rinse your mouth with a mixture of 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 cup of warm water. Peroxyl, which you can buy over the counter, is also an excellent rinse to clean the cut and promote healing.
Call Alizadeh & Schreiner Orthodontics office during regular business hours if:
- An appliance breaks
- A piece of the appliance is loose
- An appliance gets lost
- An appliance does not fit properly
Call Alizadeh & Schreiner Orthodontics right away if:
- A broken appliance prevents the mouth from opening or closing.
- Pain from an appliance is still felt even after taking over-the-counter pain relievers.
Call 911 or your emergency number first, then call Alizadeh & Schreiner Orthodontics, if:
- A serious face or mouth injury occurs
- A piece of the appliance is inhaled or gets in the way of breathing. This is extremely rare.
Always follow your orthodontist's instructions about proper wear and care. Here are some general tips that will help prevent problems:
- Don’t play rough while wearing headgear or any other removable appliance.
- If you wear braces, don’t eat foods that are hard, sticky, crunchy, or chewy. Avoid candy, gum, nuts, and corn on the cob. Cut raw carrots or apples into small pieces.
- Try to learn as much about your orthodontic appliance as you can. This will help you talk to us about any problems you might have. The more accurately you describe any problem, the better we are able to help you solve it.
- Don’t pick at or pull on braces even if it makes your teeth feel better.
- Don’t flick your retainer around with your tongue, it will break!
- Remove retainers and wear a mouthguard when playing sports.
- Remember, broken appliances will slow down your treatment!
Get In Touch
We would love to hear from you!
2997 Clarkson Road, Suite #200
Chesterfield, MO 63017
Phone: (636) 394-5455
Fax: (636) 394-5163
Monday: 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For after-hours emergencies, call (636) 394-5455 and select option #5